About Quiz Nights
A quiz night is one of the best functions a pub or venue can do to attract a regular crowd on a mid-week night. They are simple to run and great fun for the players. More information is below, but you can also check out Wikipedia for a great summary.
A fun night out
- Fun & Social - a quiz night is a great night out week with your friends
- Unisex - unlike some functions, quiz nights are popular with both men and women (in fact, we have quite a few married couples who met at a PTQ quiz night)
- Interactive - there is a lot of interaction within the team and also between the teams. This can be enhanced with games between the rounds
- Interesting - players learn all sorts of new facts and trivia at a quiz night
- Rewarding - players can win prizes and also put their knowledge to good use
- Efficient - a quiz night goes for about two hours. It doesn't keep players there for too long, which is important for a mid-week night.
- Regular - it's easier to remember if held regularly. Our most successful quiz nights are run every week (eg every Tuesday at 7pm)
Keys to success
All Quiz Nights are different, but there are a number of key elements to success:
- Interesting and relevant questions
- A good host
PTQ can help you with the first, and also provide tips and suggestions for the second and third (see host tips).
How it works
A quiz night goes for about two hours and is usually run every week, typically on a midweek night (Mon-Thurs).
- The venue organises the microphone, tables and prizes and the host runs the competition.
- The host asks the questions, collects the answers and tallys the scores.
- The team with the highest score at the end of the night wins.
A quiz night might not work in your venue, but if it does, it will probably become your most successful and profitable regular promotion.
Having hosted many quiz nights ourselves, we've seen first hand how successful they can be.
For a lot of teams the quiz night is the highlight of the week and it's not that unusual that their team won't miss a quiz night for 2-3 years. A weekly quiz night is a perfect excuse for a group of friends to catch up on a regular basis. In the friendly atmosphere of a team based environment they can work together to beat the competition. It's much more fun and rewarding than watching television.
We are constantly amazed by how loyal and dedicated players can be. There is quite often a load groan amongst the crowd if the night has to be postponed because the host is going on holiday. Likewise, after a break the crowd cheers the return, as if the host was a long lost friend.
A simple and cheap promotion
A quiz night is very simple to run. All the venue has to do is provide tables and chairs, a microphone, prizes and staff to serve food and drinks. All the host has to do is download and print out the questions package and run the function.
Because of its global reach and sophisticated online delivery, PTQ is able to offer its packages at a very cost effective rate. This means that either your quiz night will be more profitable or the time and money saved can be put back into promoting and improving the promotion.